missing person

If you have had a child go missing, it is, without a doubt, a terrible experience with what seems like no end in sight. For many people, it may feel like there is no one to turn to for help. But there may be a solution for you, and a happy ending, by contacting a private investigation firm.

If Your Child is a Runaway

If the police suspect that your teenager has run away from home, there may not be a lot that they do other than file a missing person’s report due to their limited resources. When a young child goes missing, they put a full effort into finding that child. Teenagers, however, are a different matter.

Unless there is evidence of foul play or something unusual about a teenager’s disappearance, they are likely to assume the child has run away. Naturally, there is not a lot a parent can do other than contact a teen’s friends and his or her school. Your best course of action is to contact a private investigator to find your teenager. The limited resources a police department has isn’t applicable to a private investigation firm, so your best chance of locating your teenager will be to hire a company such as ours.

Once Your Teenager is Found

This is an important part of locating a missing child who has run away from home. A private investigator has a good chance of finding your teenager, but once found, the private investigator cannot force the child to return home.

Because the teen is still a minor, you can force him or her to go home, but this will likely result in your child running away again. You will need to commit yourself to understanding your teen’s thoughts and feelings. Learn to listen and not shout when you first see your child again. You may even want to consider some form of family counseling. Trying to solve the problems today can help a parent-child relationship for many years to come.

If Your Child Has Been Abducted by Your Ex

Custody issues that are fought during a divorce can create a lot of resentment. It is not uncommon for a non-custodial parent to abduct a child. If your child has been abducted, you need to contact the police immediately, but if the police have evidence that your child was taken by your ex, they may not be able to do anything unless you know where your ex is living.

If you suspect they are living in another jurisdiction, it can be more difficult for the local police to do anything. A private investigator is not limited to any particular jurisdiction, so your ex and your child have a better chance of being located. Once this happens, the local police can be contacted, so your child can be returned to you.

A good private investigation firm, such as ours, can find a missing child. If it is an abduction by a non-custodial parent, make sure you have the necessary court documents to establish your custodial rights, and consult with your attorney, if necessary. Above all, always contact the police first when your child goes missing.

The following two tabs change content below.

Bruce Robertson

Bruce Robertson is a private investigator and founder of Tristar Investigation, California’s premiere detective agency. Bruce is also a media commentator for the investigation industry, featured in the New York Times, CNN, History Channel, MSNBC, Los Angeles Times and many more. You can find him on Google+ LinkedIn and YouTube.